Hi Dave, I enjoyed your post, and I can relate wholeheartedly. I just returned to my office having met with Brett in CAFE (our instructional technology office at DC) where I learned how to use surveys, intelligent agents, and pre-set templates inside our Desire 2 Learn LMS...now I have to actually spend the time creating these objects in my own asynchronous courses. It's time-consuming, there's a learning curve, it's extra work, BUT there's a pay off - these features are well worth it, in my opinion.
In my other UOIT course (5103G), we had a breakout discussion about technology adoption, and the need for a paradigm shift in education to support ed tech. Faculty complete ed tech training, but then struggle with finding the time to implement ed tech tools, strategies, and devices into their everyday curriculum. Most often, it's a matter of time, adopting ed tech is truly VERY time-consuming. There's no monetized award or time incentive provided for incorporating ed tech either (reminds me of research and publications within college/faculty too, a blog topic for another day). So basically to implement ed tech in curriculum often means faculty will be investing their own time, on a voluntary basis.
However, on the flipside, I did read an article this week (unfortunately can't remember which one), that stated "we can no longer just say I'm not great with technology, there's no choice but to become proficient", and that is true. Choosing not to adopt has an opportunity cost that students in the UOIT MEd program understand very well.
It's a catch 22, for sure. What's the solution? Some of the issues are systemic.
I always think the same thing...forget the naysayers, just go ahead and dive in. Focus on the benefits and what works well, increase your own students' enjoyment (engagement), and know that it will pay off in the end.
No comments:
Post a Comment