Where did that time go? :)
I learned a lot in this course...having been on a leave of absence a few things have changed during my absence, with a few new tools (ok, lots of new tools - smile)
This was my first time using Google Forms/Slides/Docs - an excellent experience, and one I plan to incorporate in my asynchronous teaching for sure.
I have researched mind maps and will be incorporating those as well - lots of benefits to my teaching there.
I loved the peer review of our papers. I am not terribly confident about my APA writing skills, and having the chance to read a few of my peer's papers gives me a much better idea of where other students are at, and stimulated some reflection and ideas for me. Completing a review of my peer's paper was a really useful activity as well - I was able to step back and think about the APA formula approach to paper writing and really reflect on what works and what doesn't. I also loved the way it was organized by Rob - using Google forms and anonymized papers (and the option to 'publish') - this was simulated from submitting to a real-life journal, also good experience. The paper topic choice was great too. An interim formative assessment might be helpful - it would for me - have someone review the paper, make suggestions, and then a re-write. I feel like I would really benefit from some detailed guidance about my paper writing - so that someday I might be publishable :)
To be honest though, I found the course a LOT of work! LOL. I'm serious. Weekly blogs + 2 responses, 3 PBL project presentations with websites, a paper, peer review, rebuttal...it adds up to a boatload of hours of work, for sure. Scale back the number of evaluation criteria would be my suggestion :)
I enjoyed the presentations too - but would prefer them to be more spread out - 3 hours packed with back-to-back presentations, the last two presentations of the evening were "lost" - most students tuned out by then I'm thinking. As well, preparing 3 x 15 minute presentations - my preference would be something longer and maybe only 2 presentations instead, with the ability to choose our topic (approved by prof of course).
That's my two cents. For what it's worth!
In closing, I wanted to say that I really enjoyed working with my group, and I enjoyed getting to know my classmates and Rob also! Thanks for a great course!!!
Hi, Michelle,
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your final reflections at the end of EDUC5101. I'm glad that you've had some good takeaways from the course. Yes... it's been a lot of work! But, I think you'll find that everything was meant to compliment the previous assignments. Like you, I have learned a lot from my interactions with everyone in this course. One of my big rules with teaching any course (whether face-to-face or online) is to not mess with it (too much ;-p) the first time you take it over as an instructor... but to learn from the first run what works, what doesn't, and what could be done to make it even better the next time around. Like you, and your classmates, I've gotten a lot of good takeaways from this experience!
I look forward to following your work in the future!
All the best,
Rob