Thursday, 11 February 2016

Week 5 - Reply to Melissa

Hi Melissa,

My PLN is really important to me...other than taking UOIT Masters courses I just don't have time (or funding) to take a lot of formal courses.  I might get to two conferences per year, so the rest of my learning has to be self-taught.  One of the fastest ways to gather information is to look to my PLN, mostly experts who have no idea I'm alive :)  For one thing, I like to follow the "right people" on Twitter and use that as a curation tool.  By following the right people, and seeing what they're up to, I can take a huge shortcut - they've already figured out the best innovative stuff, and filtered down the enormous world of Google for me.  I don't always get to my PLN (and it's often when I have insomnia LOL).  I find the most useful links posted by my PLN people, then I email those to myself, and place them in a to-do folder for follow-up within my email (and organize the ideas and information from there).  Honestly, I can't tell you how much I've learned and how many valuable items I have discovered within my PLN.

Here's a snip of a slide (from my other course)...using Twitter to curate.  I mention in this slide the "snowball effect" - once you find someone or something great to add to your PLN, check out their PLN (see who they're following, or check out their hangouts)...it's kind of like when you're researching and you find a really relevant and great article, you can skip to the references to find more of the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment