Here’s a list of digital tools (and software) I’ve used this
week: Wikispaces, Weebly, Padlet, Word,
Google Docs, Excel, Chrome, Explorer, Realtime Boards (MindMaps), Videoscribe,
Adobe Connect and Adobe Connect plug-in for Word Clouds, Outlook, PowerPoint,
Prezi, D2L, Camtasia, SnagIt, Blogger, YouTube, Socrative. How many of these tools do you recognize? What does your list look like this week? I’ve probably left a few off the list (and
I’ve excluded smartphone apps). A
couple of these tools are brand-new to me, introduced by UOIT classmates, but
most I’ve used at an intermediate or advanced level. Like almost all of my colleagues, I’m
self-taught with every one of these tools.
Sometimes keeping up with the latest digital tools is a
fulltime job all by itself. Having taken
some time off from the UOIT MEd program and my studies, I’m surely feeling that
right now (and playing catch up). There’s
a seemingly endless supply train of digital tools, what’s in, what’s out,
steamrolling through our lives. Do you
remember the first time you saw YouTube?
A touch screen? FaceTime? Everyone has their favourites of the moment. I know I’m in the business of online training,
but I have to admit, I get truly excited when I find a new tool that really
works for my needs. This week, I’m
excited about free extensions for Adobe Connect, Adobe has a doorbell (and a digital timer,
and a word cloud generator)! Take a look
at this link too, the EdSurgeProduct Index for a few more digital tools (1500 or so).
But before you get carried away (and sidetracked), ask
yourself the most important question:
WHY are you using the digital tool?
Let’s stop that steamrolling train for a moment and think…what exactly
do these tools ADD to the learning experience?
WHY are we using them?
We need to be very aware of our motivation – in fact, the
use of digital tools needs to be pedagogy-driven. They need to add value. That’s exactly the point of this article: InSuccessful Edtech, Pedagogy Comes First--Devices Second. Two ideas in this article resonate
with me, firstly: “when planning edtech
initiatives, ensure that mastery of pedagogy is in place or in the works”. This tool, My SmartHealthCare, is used at
Durham College in our Paramedic program.
Its simulations are designed to allow students to practice techniques
and decision making in a variety of life-threatening situations that replicate
the real experience of the business of being a paramedic and saving lives. Having mastered simulations, the next step is
to bring these students into live practicum training. Good pedagogy is illustrated here, this isn’t
just a theoretical tool that’s definition based, it’s real-world simulations. Another idea from the article that resonates is that we must “understand that technology is there to help
teachers”. The tool should
assist the teacher, and add value in some meaningful way. We have to be sure we’re not simply using
technology for the sake of using technology (or due to some administrative requirement
or other motivation). Have you ever been
asked to develop or deliver online teaching due to an administrative policy
(such as, 20% of our training must be online by 2017)?
I love meeting with other online teachers and talking to
them about what digital tools they’re using, how they use them in their
classes, what works, and what doesn’t. It saves me time and wasted effort. That’s
one of the things I have really enjoyed about taking UOIT courses, getting great
ideas from my classmates! I have a few
assignments I share regularly (at DC and with UOIT folks too), such as creating
a Padlet Internet Artifact, creating a course- and student-centered Wiki (similar to Dr Bill Hunter’s Principles of Learning Wiki), and smaller activities such as creating two Mind Maps as a reflective exercise on learning achieved (this one was created by a colleague).
What’s your favourite “cool” digital tool? How do you use it?
What’s your favourite “cool” digital tool? How do you use it?
Contact me...
michelle.rivers@durhamcollege.ca
Twitter:@profmichrivers

Hi Michelle,
ReplyDeleteFind my response here!
http://racheleduc5101.blogspot.com/2016/01/response-2-week-3.html